Friday, October 06, 2006

Day 224 - Anyone out there need 1950s Weldtex ceiling tiles






Pics are - the old family room as it was when we viewed the house with the Weldwood panelling and the Weldtex tiles. The tiles themselves with 1800 nails pulled and the ceiling I'd like to duplicate with beadboard/planking above the joists.

Yesterday Bob got the remaining Weldwood off and the ceiling tiles off before I got home. The carpenter came over with his drywall guy and we discussed stuff and learnt about the joist/roof structure. Looks like the builder built the roof structure from lumber - the joists are not single span but are bolted together mid-ceiling and the trusses overlap the joists and are nailed rather than butting and being joined with metal plates or other wood. The family room is single storey so no weight-bearing up there other than the roof structure. Offers a few challenges to our plan to beadboard above the joists. I just need to suit up and rip down the old fiberglass insulation and then pull thousands of staples and nails that still remain.
Tiles are no more - last night I pulled 1800 tacks out of about 150 Weldtex striated plywood ceiling tiles. I hate having wood lying around with nails in it. I guess I entertain the concept that someone else might be able to use them or repair another Weldtex ceiling with them - even though we don't want that "look" I am pained to just chuck them out.
Room looks kind of harsh gutted but I like to think of how great it will look finished.

2 comments:

Armes Akimbeau said...

Don't know if you're serious or not, but we ARE looking for salvage Weldtek. We're working on the restoration of a 1950s ranch and could really use extra Weldtek (the original siding is all Weldtek).

Please do let me know if you're interesting in working something out -- if you still have the tiles.

Thx - kimberlysfox@hotmail.com

jhobbie said...

I am very interested in buying a dozen of the Weldtex ceiling tiles if you have any left. Please contact me at your convenience. Thanks.