Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Day 335 - Jan 24 - Faux Brick (on brick!) Finish








Slowly getting back into some projects after a lull over Xmas. Have mainly been concentrating on the kitchen project but last night I took on the brick surround on the fireplace (yet again). Last effort was four coats of paint stripper and no brick in sight.
I headed to Lowes and got some heavy duty (50) sand paper for the Mouse and also a bunch of brick red paint swatches. I sanded the brick a bit ad results were mixed - some of the paint came off easily but some was on there for good so I decided I have to do the faux paint. Back to Lowes but this time I had matched the swatches to the actual brick tones and bought 3 sample pots of paint ($3.98 each and a "pouncer" brush to stipple - couldn't bring myself to drop $15 on a sponge). The mid color that I painted on first was American Century Tropical Nut, then a stippling of the just slightly darker Cliveden Henna Red and then a stippling over that of a slightly lighter color - Florentine Clay - that I softened and dispersed a lot more with the brush to get that kind of effervescence white sheen that you get on bricks.
I think the results were pretty good - the flash doesn't help the photo. I painted on the medium shade first and then stippled the darker tone on top and then stippled the lighter tone over that being sure to really work it so that it looked like a soft smudge and not edgey. The samples only came in satin but I didn't want to buy a quart of flat so I might have to hit it all with a matt clear top coat. Just need to go back tonight and get a cement color for the mortar and then I can start priming/painting the mantel/wood surround.

Went back to Lowes tonight with another matching color swatch but wanted to check if there was any ready-made mortar in a tub that I could use as the painting was going to be a pain. Luckily Lowes had Quikrete Textured Mortar Repair ($1.99) - think grey bath caulk with sand and grit in it. So I just smoothed that on with my fingers in to the mortar groove and wiped off the edges of the brick and I think it looks fab. It really needs a wash coat to cut the new and clean look, to give it a bit of grime so I will have to look into that but apart from that it was a much easier, quicker project than I had anticipated.

3 comments:

Debra said...

I am so impressed with your faux brick painting on faux brick. The information will be so useful to my readers as well.

Have fun with all your new projects!
Faux Brick Wall

Ryan said...

Just found this site while searching for ideas on painting a ugly fireplace.
That looks great! I am toiling over what to do with my ugly red/black mortar fireplace. I have done a lot of internet searching but haven't found this idea yet.
One question, will this paint withstand heat from the fireplace?

CSD Faux Finishing said...

Wow, I know this is really old but I am a decorative Painter being hired to do something similar and through research came across your blog. You did such an amazing job with these bricks, thanks SO MUCH for including paint colors. I will be putting a sample board together in the next week or so and this just saved my life :)