Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Colorado Potato Beetle

Hmmm ... so my most successful seedlings this spring were my eggplants. I had so many that I gave away many in 2s and 3s to friends. I was late getting mine in the ground due to all the rain we had in June and they have struggled/been eaten/looked fairly pathetic since plating out.
Recently they have staged a comeback and have begun to look hearty, robust and flourishing. I was giving them a little TLC and weeding at the weekend when I happened to notice insect eggs under one of the leaves. Then I saw a beetle on a leaf that looked like an unshelled sunflower seed. Looked it up on bugguide.net and found out that it's a Colorado Potato beetle and the eggs were likely it's eggs. They favor plants in the nightshade family - potato, eggplant etc, lay eggs under the leaves which then hatch and devour the plant. Yikes!
I killed the beetle and eggs and went and did another check this morning to check for any more. So far so good.

No comments: