Sunday, September 13, 2009

Productive weekend

Good stuff. Yesterday I got all my projects done so that I could start the project that I intended to be doing!
- Rotated my compost stackers and transferred the finished compost to the new compost corral - might be my best crop this year!
- Then I could restack the stackers and move the side compost pile into the stackers in my effort to tidy, reorganize and plant the side yard.
- Then I dug up my raspberries and blackberries from the side yard to move to the other side yard (too much shade, planted them there when I knew nothing about gardening).
- Cut the grass on the other side of the house really short so that it was easy to dig and plant the berry bushes.
- Cut back the existing blackberry bush, so that is all sorted, all my berry bushes are together in one spot in the sun.
- I kept 6 raspberry divisions back so that I can take them to "Skippy's Garden" Plant/Seed swap, Oct 3rd.
- Laid brick down on part of the side yard border and assembled "The Earth Machine" compost bin that I got at reduced cost through the town of Ridgefield, CT. This bin will be for kitchen compost so it's right by the side door. Have not personally composted food waste, only garden waste, will be interesting to see how it goes.

In the veg plot, noticed that the carrots are coming up, the zuccini is trying to stage a post-mildew comeback with new fruits and the eggplant has flowers again. So far they have all fallen off so, after a quick google, I have been out with a paintbrush trying to ensure that they get pollinated.

Today I treated myself to a trip to Earth Tone Natives, a garden nursery that sells only natives, based in Woodbury, CT. Much better to visit and see what they have in person. Unbelievable amount of bees and insects on the plants. I also heard a fast whirring and looked over in time to see a hummingbird. As if to say "why, yes, I am a hummingbird" he flew over and sat on a branch right by me. Very beautiful and shiny and TINY! I don;'t think I have seen one before, closest thing in the UK was a kingfisher.
Got some great plant ideas at Earth Tone Natives - for the deep shade of the side yard: wood iris, jack in the pulpit, variegated solomon's seal, and 2 others I forget were top of the list for there. I don't think I need a huge amount of stuff down there, just enough to make it productive for insects etc, make it attractive to me and functional.

No comments: