Thursday, August 27, 2009

Learning ...


This year was my first growing veggies other than having a couple tomato plants around. Thanks to the weather I have learned more in this one season than I ever imagined. Having found a strategy for late blight on the tomato plants, colorado potato beetle on the eggplant and slugs everywhere, I now notice that the zuccini is getting mildew. "They" (the internet) say to spray with a 9:1 water to milk solution. I've done this once and they almost look worse (why spray wet on a mildew problem?) so last night I did what I always do with plant problems, I pruned back all the mildewy stalks and leaves. Not sure if this is good zuccini care but it opened up the bushes and so maybe they will get better air circulation.
Found a wierd looking thing on the eggplant which finally has flowers. Crushed it. Also found a ladybird on the eggplant in the raised bed. Congratulated myself.
Not exactly sure when to pick the corn, it is slow coming on due to lack of hot days, tassles were brown but cobs were a little small so need to leave them til tassels totally shrivelled. Plenty more cobs to come.

Fortunately the annuals that I grew from seed are doing great: zinnias, gomphrena and lavender. I love the gomphrena.

No comments: