Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Humingbird garden

So it has begun. A south-facing area of the front garden has puzzled me for the longest time as to what to do with it. It is the area. When we viewed the house almost 4 years ago it looked like this - it's the area on the right hand side in front of the addition.


We very quickly ripped out the yew bushes and started over cutting back the depth of the border and enlarging the lawn. The depth of this one area made it hard to design. The hummingbird garden seemed to fall into place as I had also wanted to ring hte house with a 24" band of pea gravel for when we eventually have the siding replaced. I also had some very tall echinacea magnus (tall purple coneflower) hogging the front that had to be moved.


So the first step was digging out the gravel buffer and putting in the edging.


Then I laid landscape fabric and topped with gravel. I recently did my fall visit to local nurseries to see what they were clearing out so I've had lots to plant both here and elsewhere but I'll cover that in another post. Oh and I added a half barrel and liner so there will be a wee pond for them which also breaks up the area into more manageable borders.

No comments: