Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Hummingbirds




I had been thinking more about my magic encounter with the hummingbird and started researching plants for them as I have an area of the garden that I have not really known what to do with. So I drew up lists (like you do) and acquainted myself with all the top hummingbird attractors. I also noticed that the landscaping at work had large areas of lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal Flower). I did not look for h-birds though.
About a week later I was walking to the cafe when I noticed that the landscapers had ripped out all the lobelia and put in 'Mums. Still I made no connection until I saw two women by the door, staring at the ground and then staring up. There were two hummingbirds on the ground by the door. One was dead and one was just sitting there. They thought they were baby birds that had fallen out of a nest. It was clear that they were RT Hummingbirds. I picked the dead one up and the other one flew off. Poor buggers suddenly had their mega-lobelia buffet disappear just like that.
The next day I went to the cafe and there was another dead h-bird lying in the same spot (the picture above). They really do weigh literally nothing - amazing to see them up close (in the photo you can actually see the long tongue sticking out to the left.

Now totally resolved to build a hummingbird garden.

No comments: