Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Year 2 - Day 231







"Kirnee, I can't stretch out in a cat crate."


Interesting day today as the guy comes to sand and "finish" the floors. I have not used this guy nor have any recommendations on him other than he was recommended to us by our sheetrock guy. I have a certain uneasyness about him but we shall see.

He does not turn up at 8am as promised and I call him at 8:30a.m. "Ah, yes, Christina" (not my name) he says "I'm just getting materials." So I say I'll see him at 9am. He turns up at 9am with his hair very precisely combed down. "Christina, you have materials?" Hmmm, I can see it's going to be an interesting day. "No, Luis," I say, "You are getting the materials." "Ah, yes, he says, I get, no trouble. I go wait for my guy and come back 20 minutes." Luis is Brazilian as are almost all the guys who have worked on the house. For promptness he ranks in the middle of Marcone (our carpenter), very busy so never calls back and Adelson, our sheetrock guy who is super reliable. Maybe its because Adelson speaks a little English but it's hard to communicate with him on the phone so he can't call to try and change the time. Luis and his guy do return.

11 a.m. - so far so good. The guy - don't know his name - he's another Brazilian that doesn't speak English other than be able to talk about flooring has finished the sanding. Sounded like he used 3 or 4 grades of sandpaper. Now he's buffing, then he'll vacuum and put down 2 coats of water-based finish. "Then 2 coats tomorrow." He says. Yikes! - I am meant to be at work tomorrow - maybe I can change it so that I work the afternoon evening instead.

Maybe I'm being picky but I will say that with Luis, when you're ready to book him you just call him 2 days before you need him and he turns up. A slow start for a quick turn-around is probably a fair trade.

Throughout all this the cats are in their crates in my car in the street wondering what the hell is going on. I didn't think they would like the sound of the sanding and fortunately it's a lovely cool, breezy fall day. I have been popping out every so often to check on them. They are not impressed at being in their crates. Kevvie, ever the softie, seems to "meow" a pitiful "Kirnee save me." Whereas CJ, ever the firebrand, seems to "meow" "WTF Kirnee?, what is up with the f'in crate?."

Soon they can come back in and all will be forgiven I hope.

It's shortly after noon and it's gone very quiet. A quick peek out the window and the guy has gone. 2 coats are on. I call Luis to see when he will be back. "Tomorrow." He says. "What time tomorrow?," I ask. "Sometime tomorrow morning." He says. "9 o'clock." He adds.

No comments: