Friday, February 13, 2009

Been Reading

To get through the winter and gather ideas I have been looking through some landscape and garden design books. Here are my faves:

The essential garden design workbook / Rosemary Alexander
This book really breaks down and shows you how to analyse and evaluate your space. I especially liked her pointers about using prominent points on your house to define areas and to work up a grid for the design based on proportions of the layout.

I am still reading this book but it really helped solidify my own design style - tending towards a natural look that includes what landscape types see to call "found objects".





Keith Davitt has two books, they are a little repetitive on material but have some great ideas for hardscaping and patio materials especially. They are "Hardscaping : how to use structures, pathways, patios & ornament in your patio" and "Beyond the lawn : unique outdoor spaces for modern living".



Because I knew I would be getting through a lot of books, I chose to go to the library instead of drop a bundle on books that I may or may not like. Everyday I drive by the New Canaan Library and although I don't live there I decided that that would be a handy place to go. Talk about good karma: New Canaan Library is fortunate to have the Susan McDaniel collection, a collection of books put togther in memory of an ardent gardener by her family and friends. I feel very fortunate to have this resource - it is the best of the best landscape and gardening books - and also think it is a great way to remember someone. For more on this collection read here: http://newcanaanlibrary.org/research/mcdaniel.small.pdf

No comments: