Monday, March 23, 2009

Eggplant day 14


Eggplants are coming along great. The lupines are coming up hearty not like the yarrow which seems a little frail and spindly. In the lupine test the soaked seeds really did not do well: only 4 of 10 pots have anything for a total of 4 shoots. It seems that scarifying is the way to go: 9/11 pots have seedlings for a total of 14 shoots.
Spent the weekend on some lawn care. Scarified in my battle against crabgrass - can't believe how much stuff comes up. Next year I will not mulch/mow leaves into the lawn - they tend to cake on it. I'll mulch them into the leaf pile. I had a bunch of compost delivered from Ferris Mulch. Saturday was taken up with scarifying, overseeding and topdressing the front lawn. Sunday was taken up with scarifying and topdressing the back and then making a storage spot for the remaining compost, I could've got maybe 1 less yard although I'll use it for sure. The yard looks a lot tidier (kind of like me, I had a spring haircut and got rid of the mop on Saturday) and I gave all the plants a good shovelful of compost.

No comments: