Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Landscaping Class #1


So I realised thast I did not post on the first night of the Brooklyn Botanical Garden class 'Your Garden Tutorial: All About the Space."
It was a good first class. There are 8 of us. The class is run by Jim Russell (bio at http://www.bbg.org/edu/bios.html#russell) and Joan McDonald (http://www.gardensbyjoan.com/). They are a good yin and yang, he seems more arty and emotive, whereas Joan seems more realist and practical, which I guess is the ideal mix.

We all had to briefly describe our space to start things off and we have a mix of 2 suburban gardens (inc. me), 2 rooftops, 2 brownstone small gardens and 2 more I forget but a good mix. I have to admit I almost envy the folks with a smaller space.

Jim went through different styles of gardens and then we had to write three visions of our garden: in 3 years, in 10 months and in 1 month. This was hard to do, you had to project how it would be and try to get more descriptive and make it into something real. Then the process is that you use the vision to outline what you have to do, to create a list and from that make a project list, prioritize etc. it was a good exercise and I will have Bob do it too.

Then we went through the workbook they provided to keep all our stuff together and then it was pretty much the end of the evening. Took me 2 hrs to drive there from Stamford and 1:15 to drive back home.

The class notification had asked us to draw a plan of our space and collect inspirational photos etc. That became the first night's "to do" (grown-up word for "homework") so I am ahead of the game there.

Last night I went out and checked some measurements. When I first did them I used a wheel on snow, last night I used the tape measure and got a different reading which still throws off my drawing so maybe I have to go measure for a 3rd time.

No comments: