Friday, April 03, 2009

Landscaping Class #4


A really fun part of this class has been seeing the spaces, challenges, ideas and solutions of the other people in the class and how we have all critiqued and offered suggestions to each other.
Last night was the last night of the class and we had to do an informal presentation of how far we had got: differing levels of completion and very different challenges -hot, sunny roof space; surrounded brownstone gardens and me with the suburban sprawl.
The "vision" as they call it, and the plan has come a long way in just the 3 wks of the 4 classes, further than you would think it could.
I had worked a bit of color into my plan as the drawing was getting too ill-defined. The color helped beyond just showing areas, it actually made me think about colors of materials etc. Good exercise.
Excellent constructive criticism from Joan, Jim and the class on my space - make the lawn smaller still, make the river stone areas less expansive, enlarge the woodland area by the bird feeder to create a sense of 'entry'; bbq area near house ("Bob's corner") is very scrunched - expand it and let it breathe; re-work "wave forms"/bricks in the gravel; think of ways to break up the gravel expanse.
Still (of course, (laughing)) more designing to do but my mind was goin on the drive home and I even got some ideas flying up I-684.

This class has really been fun and worth the $$, time and effort.

No comments: